Downtown Deplorables

A little news from the runaway mayor’s home base.

Stockton’s Silva stepping up. But can’t keep his firearms from getting stolen

Mayor Anthony Silva on Thursday outlined a nine-step proposal to curb gang violence and seek justice for a 3-year-old girl killed by gunfire last weekend.

“I hereby declare war on active gang members within the city of Stockton,” he said at a news conference at City Hall.

“Everyone here, you know we can think of all sorts of (homicide victims),” the mayor said. “Tim Egkan just last year, I can think of all sorts — Ray-Ray (Rashawn Harris), we should all have these people in custody.”

Egkan was a force in downtown Stockton redevelopment before he was fatally stabbed in early on Sept. 13, 2015, just blocks from his downtown home.

Harris, 13, was gunned down at 7 a.m. Feb. 23, 2015, in his driveway in the 2200 block of South Sacramento Street by a .40-caliber Beretta Px4 Storm semi-automatic pistol.

According to the District Attorney’s Office, the Beretta was legally registered to the mayor, one of two guns stolen from him in separate thefts. Silva did not report that gun stolen until March 22, 2015 — 27 days after Harris’ killing. The D.A.’s Office said in August that Silva refused to cooperate with investigators seeking information about the recovered gun, although the mayor has denied that claim.

Downtown Deplorables