Never thought he’d be back in California so soon. Remember to stay out of the crossfire when visiting the ‘Row.
Jorge Luis Mendoza, the suspect in a November fatal shooting on Cannery Row, was extradited from Mexico and is now in Monterey County Jail, police said.
Mendoza, 21, was transported back to California on Saturday and turned over to Monterey police. He was booked on murder charges and his bail was set at $1.3 million.
On Nov. 23, 2016, police found Raul Melendez at the entrance to the Cannery Row parking garage, 601 Foam St., suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. First responders took Melendez, 28, to Natividad Medical Center in Salinas, where he died.
According to police, the original altercation started at the Giant Artichoke restaurant, 711 Cannery Row, which has since closed.
Gang hits, knife fights, it just aint as safe anymore.
The gunman who Monterey police believe murdered a 28-year-old man on Cannery Row last month was identified Tuesday as Jorge Luis Mendoza.
The murder victim, Raul Melendez of Monterey, was followed from the restaurant to the Cannery Row Parking Garage on Wave Street at 1:40 a.m. on Nov. 23. He was shot multiple times. He was transported from the bloody scene to Natividad’s trauma center, where he died.
Monterey police also released the names of the men who were behind a double stabbing during a fight at the Blue Fin Billiards and Cafe at 685 Cannery Row.
Joel Robledo, 40, of Salinas and Frank Guzman II, 27, of Castroville, stabbed each other while fighting on Dec. 3.
Police described the two men as “rival gang members from Castroville and Salinas.”
Monterey Police Department officers found Raul Melendez shot multiple times at the entrance of the Cannery Row garage when they responded to a call for help at 1:41 a.m. Wednesday. Melendez, a Monterey resident, was transported to Natividad Medical Trauma Center in Salinas, where he died of his injuries.
“There has not been a homicide in that area since 1991,” Lt. Mike Bruno said. “That particular area of the city … is pretty rare where we have such a violent crime like that.”
The Sixth District Court of Appeals has upheld the conviction of Jacobo Ruelas in the 1997 murder of 17-year-old Kristopher Olinger, according to Monterey County District Attorney Dean Flippo.
Ruelas was convicted in October 2013 of first-degree murder with special circumstances, kidnapping for robbery and kidnapping for carjacking in the death of the Monterey High School senior, who was stabbed and left to die near the Pacific Grove Recreation Trail.
Ruelas was sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole.
The case went unsolved for nearly a decade before state investigators matched palm prints on Olinger’s car in 2005 to Ruelas and his brother Angel.
Angel Ruelas was also charged in connection with the crime, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life without possibility of parole.
Olinger was killed in Pacific Grove sixteen years ago.
The jury found that Jacobo Ruelas and his younger brother, Angel Ruelas, who had earlier plead guilty to the crime, fatally stabbed Olinger, a 17-year-old Pacific Grove resident, during a carjacking and robbery on Sept. 18, 1997. Angel Ruelas, 33, pleaded guilty in April 2012 and was sentenced to life without parole, the same sentence faced by the elder brother. Jacobo Ruelas will sentenced Oct. 30.
He went to one bedroom and found it untouched. Then he tried to open a second bedroom’s door. It was blocked. He forced it open and saw a large television had been pushed against it. Inside was mayhem.
Nguyen’s body was draped facedown over the television.
Salazar’s body was on the other side of the room. Both bodies were in pools of blood and Haas could detect pulses in neither. Paramedics revived Nguyen, who was taken to San Jose Regional Medical Center.